Ebay Rant

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ebay Rant

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:00 am

So, I've done a LOT of ebay buying (a LOT...) but not much selling. Last month I sold an antique parlor lamp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230480332071&ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT

The guy who bought it is apparently a dealer/reseller - whatever, fine - but doesn't write in complete sentences or express his thoughts fully.

I mailed it on 6/4 which was a MASSIVE ordeal... had to wait an hour in line at UPS store, they made me unpack and repack it with new materials, all in all it cost me about $28 to ship (when I charged him 16).

Before we shipped, this was the conversation:

Him: can you keep globe and adjust shipping?

Me:
Hi Robert,

We can keep the globe and adjust shipping to $10, but are you
sure you don't want to keep it, since it matches?

Him:
dont want broken globe but would like the brass ring on
top.Thanks Rob

Me:
Hi Robert,

We shipped your item yesterday; the
shipping charges amounted to more than we expected them to be (24.50) -
It would be considerate of you to let us keep the full $16 shipping cost
but, if you insist, we will return the $6 and charge you 10 for leaving
out the globe as agreed. We were not able to get the brass ring off
without smashing the globe, and we didn't want to do that.

Joseph

And then there was no answer.

After a few weeks, I gave away the globe. Saturday he emails that he's never received the item - a month later. So I freak out. Try to go to the UPS store and it's 30 miles away, can't get there monday because of an appointment, tuesday I had my tooth ripped out and had to deal with that, and then yesterday, wednesday, tried to get there and a head-on car crash happened right in front of me less than a block away so I couldn't make it.

So today I get this:
____
Him: found lamp lost in masses.was looking for globe,where is
the top ring i asked for/paid for.if ya dont wanna remove it send the
shade.i will remove it..thanks Rob
____

HA!

A month later, after HE'S lost the lamp, he's going to come back and beg for the brass ring? This is obviously a valuable antique piece.

Well, here's my reply:

____
Me: Rob,

It's good to hear you found the lamp. I've
been trying to make it to the UPS store to ask them what's going on, but
yesterday I was a block away and a head-on crash happened in front of
me and closed the road so I couldn't get there. I've been really worried
about it.

When you mentioned you didn't want the globe but would
like the brass ring, I emailed you on 6/9/10 and told you we couldn't
get the brass ring off without smashing the globe; once I didn't hear
back by the end of the month I donated the globe to charity, so it's no
longer in my possession.

___

I bet this is going to open a whole great can of worms. The point of selling the item was to get some money for the move and get it out of the way. I don't think it's fair I'd be expected to haul this lamp globe around for a month. I also don't think it's fair I should be expected to decipher his intent and desires based on unclear emails. Not to mention I already had to pay out the wazoo extra for the shipping.

Well anyway, rant over.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Ebay Rant

Post by gillyflower on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:49 am

TED, keep the email record. That should be good evidence.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:50 am

Oh trust, I have it and ebay has it. He can file a dispute if he wants but I *think* I'm in the right.

If absolutely nothing else, I'll tell him he can send the lamp back and I'll relist. Bwahaha.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:08 pm

An answer!

sounds like your charity cost me about 15$,,guess thats what feedback is for..Thanks Rob

Ha.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:43 pm

I'm really NOT familiar w EBay, but maybe next time (Snugums)...don't split up a damn thing....either whole or nothing!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:22 pm

Seriously! Very Happy

I don't have much experience selling on ebay but I'm a GREAT shopper. I think I hit my 100th purchase this week. I know some people have thousands, but heck, I'm poor and a hundred is a lot!

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:57 pm

I used to sell on ebay... quite a lot. Once you know and understand *the system* (meaning the new, new system) it works really great.

It's getting there that's the hard part.

I miss how ebay was in the 90's.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:49 pm

I've done some looking around on Ebay but neither bought nor sold anything.

I remember hubby telling me that a former co-worker's mother-in-law made a killing on Ebay by going around to garage sales and buying up needlework and kitchen collectibles. Apparently, people in other parts of the country were paying premium prices for such things. He said she paid 5 cents to a quarter for most pieces and sold them for double and triple digits in dollars!

Made me think I should sell a bunch of the embroidery work and crocheted pieces I have stashed in my cedar chest. Except, I'd feel like I was selling off my heritage since all of them were made by my mother, aunts and grandmothers. I concluded I'd have to be really desperate for cash to do that which is ironic considering that I thought all that sort of thing was just lame when I was a kid. Funny how our priorities can change, huh?

DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:28 pm

It is DOT. I'm currently using dish towels that my grandma embroidered; I'm down to 2 and regret the fact that - at one point - I had several other (that I could have remembered her by).

If you were to sell the workings, I think etsy would net you more dough. Lots of crafty people moved from ebay to etsy.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top