Funniest Headline Ever!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Funniest Headline Ever!

Post by gillyflower on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:38 pm

Click here (oh, maybe this is a NC17)

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6622I420100703

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Funniest Headline Ever!

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:44 pm

LMAO! Facebooking.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:44 pm

The reporter can't have read what he wrote!

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:46 pm

I thought that's why they have editors.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:48 pm

"I was a little sloppy out of the blocks, but I
was able to hold on," he added.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:53 pm

"It wasn't bad, but I was a little fatigued
toward the end,"
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:54 pm

Don'tcha hate that.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:55 pm

Bad bad TED! Whip2

But funnier still... LoLFlag
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:11 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:25 am

I've seen worse:

http://failblog.org/tag/probably-bad-news/

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:29 am

Tell me, SG. Do reporters try to slip things by the editors?

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdfaery on Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:10 am

*snerk*
weirdfaery

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:39 pm

No. Usually when you get a bad headline running, what happened was the paginator shoved a truly horrid headline on the top of a story to try to get the publisher's blood pressure up, printed a copy to drop on the publisher's desk, and then forgot to change it back before it printed.

Or they have been working so many hours that their brain isn't functioning properly and the headline reads differently in their head than it comes out on paper.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:57 pm

Wouldn't surprise me a bit but what the latter might be the case--someone so exhausted that they went with the obvious lead judging by the subject.

I recall writing a few questionable headlines quite unintentionally when I was a high school paper editor. That's one reason why we had co-editors...one would vet the other's headlines to catch embarrassing ones before the galleys went to the printer.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:06 pm

That's how it works now, too, Dot, in theory. Paginators review one another's work before anything goes to press. Thanks to the miracle of downsizing, though, there are fewer copy editor/paginators so everyone has more pages to produce and more pages to proof for others. It becomes like a factory line, things get checked way too quickly and bad headlines sometimes don't sink in until it's too late.

Where I work, we produce five daily papers in one one newsroom, after a recent consolidation. And we do it with fewer copy editor/paginators than we had 10 years ago, when the same newsroom produced only one daily newspaper. So ...

Do the math. It sucks.
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top