The new Robin Hood movie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The new Robin Hood movie

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:47 am

Was I alone in being irritated with some of the things the writers did with the history? The acting was good, the directing was good, but I was so irritated that at the end of the movie all I could think was, "piss off, writers!"

And the sad thing was, most of the things they did wrong could be easily checked. For example, Robin Hood's father was a good Catholic, and yet they had him cremated! I ask you!

Drove me round the bend!

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: The new Robin Hood movie

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:53 pm

Ya OK?
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:29 pm

the Kennedy's are Catholic; yet Jon-Jon was cremated.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:37 pm

Cremation was, in fact, not forbidden in and of itself; even in Medieval Europe, cremation was practiced in situations where there were multitudes of corpses simultaneously present, such as after a battle, after a pestilence or famine, and where there was an imminent fear of diseases spreading from the corpses, since individual burials with digging graves would take too long and body decomposition would begin before all the corpses had been interred.

Beginning in the Middle Ages, and even more so in the 18th century and later, rationalists and classicists began to advocate cremation again as a statement denying the resurrection and/or the afterlife,[25] although the pro-cremation movement more often than not took care to address and refute theological concerns about cremation in their works.[26] Sentiment within the Catholic Church against cremation became hardened in the face of the association of cremation with "professed enemies of God."[26] Rules were made against cremation,[27] which were softened in the 1960s.[23]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cremation

He wasn't killed in a huge battle with lots of people dying, was he? Otherwise, he was probably buried.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:07 pm

Just one example, folks. He died after a big fight with the big bad of the movie. I just think that if you are going to introduce history into a movie, get the history right, or don't bother.

They played this game where when the actual history wasn't convenient, they changed it. It ended up a convoluted mess. I only mentioned the cremation bit because it didn't give any of what they called "plot" away.

The movie was supposed to take place in 1199, which was, of course, before the Black Death that swept through Europe and decimated the population.

The Black Death, I recalled while watching that crap, was devastating psychologically to the general populace because the bodies of the victims had to be cremated rather than buried. This stems from a doctrine of the church at that time that stated something to the effect that when Christ returns the dead will rise from the grave and walk the streets. If your body was cremated, your soul would have no where to go come the resurrection.

This wasn't just a philosophical concept back in the day remember. This was serious stuff that had your soul in the balance. No Catholic in good standing in 1199 would be cremated if there was any other option. And if you watched the flick, there were plenty of other options.

There were other problems. That was just the one that had me wanting to shoot the writers the most.

Say, has anyone else actually seen this thing, or is it, mercifully, going to hit the $5 DVD section of Walmart in record time?

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:30 pm

I haven't watched it yet, but that isn't a surprise. I don't watch most movies.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:49 pm

Once I heard that he was a commoner, I lost interest. I figured they were only using the names and inventing the rest.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:55 pm

I'm sure Robin Hood, Men in Tights will still be better.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:37 pm

Davelaw wrote:the Kennedy's are Catholic; yet Jon-Jon was cremated.

This was a notable exception to Catholic practice today regarding cremation. The Kennedys would probably have had to have special permission for scattering cremated remains at sea. The Catholic church, as far as I know, still strongly opposes scattering the remains or keeping the deceased in an urn in your living room. Both practices are regarded as disrespectful of the body which is believed to be the temple of the Holy Spirit and thus should be buried whether cremated or encoffined.

I'm not sure when, but it's been only within the last several years that a Catholic funeral Mass could be held with cremated remains present. Previously, the body had to be in a coffin for the funeral and could only be cremated after it. The reason for that is the church's belief that the family needs the closure of viewing the body as well as the fact that certain traditional prayers and rituals require the presence of the intact body. Now, granted, exceptions have always been made in instances where the body wasn't in any kind of condition for anything but a closed casket.

You probably won't find any priest who'd admit to it, but I cynically suspect part of the reason why scattering remains or keeping them in your home is still a big no-no is that Catholic cemeteries don't get the revenue from burial in that case. A Catholic is supposed to be buried in a Catholic cemetery if at all possible because there are special blessings on the plot.

sacrificialgoddess wrote:The Black Death, I recalled while watching that crap, was devastating psychologically to the general populace because the bodies of the victims had to be cremated rather than buried. This stems from a doctrine of the church at that time that stated something to the effect that when Christ returns the dead will rise from the grave and walk the streets. If your body was cremated, your soul would have no where to go come the resurrection.

This wasn't just a philosophical concept back in the day remember. This was serious stuff that had your soul in the balance. No Catholic in good standing in 1199 would be cremated if there was any other option.

I have somewhat of a well-no-and-yes reaction here. I remember asking my mom when I was about 7 or 8 and that catastrophic fire killing a bunch of kids occurred at Our Lady of Angels Catholic school in Chicago about how someone's body would be resurrected if you burned to death. I remember that the explanation was that if anything could be found of the body, then it was to be buried because God would still be able to resurrect it as if it had never been burned.

So, of course, I asked what would happen if somebody died in a plane that burned and crashed into the ocean where recovering the body wasn't possible. God would still be able to resurrect the body...it's God we're talking about, after all.

The main reason against cremation (unless there were Black Death-like reasons for it) was that intact burial in consecrated ground was "how it's supposed to be done, and how we've always done it." A lot of it is simply the weight of tradition, I think, as well as the church's teaching that the body, alive or dead, is to be respected as God's handiwork, which is part of the reason why tattooing was strictly forbidden when I grew up Catholic. I don't know if that's changed any recently what with the immense popularity of tattoos for anybody and everybody.

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I'm sure Robin Hood, Men in Tights will still be better.

Now, there's a classic movie if I ever saw one. That and Errol Flynn's.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top