The Non-Hypocritical Christian

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: The Non-Hypocritical Christian

Post by Sakhaiva on Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:52 pm

ALL: It's true that bear lead mostly solitary lives so, you are who your avatar says you are Smile

Gilly, there are lots of clubs around but many people don't make use of them. I think, these days, people get home from work and once their butt hits the couch, they are not likely to move until commercial.

Meetup.com offers a *club* for any hobby/interest one might have... some of the groups I'm involved with have thousands of members (events usually have 15-30 people)

When I had my Yoga club going, I also ran ads in the local paper. Other clubs do that too.

Then there's also things like Rotary, Lions and the Red Hat Society.

.... re church and socialization: my former pastor always used to say that "a church isn't the Pastor, it's the people" My current church - which I'm going to become a member of - stresses that the 'church' starts in the home and grows outward. I really like that as it places responsibility on the individual. The emphasis, imho, has less to do with being social/making friends as it does really living the faith you claim.

Of course, it's wonderful to make friends too. (A nice side benefit)
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:06 pm

AutumnalTone wrote:How do sects like Jehovah's Witnesses and Mormons make most of their converts? They're very nice people. That leads some folks to attend some random church activity where there are lots of nice, welcoming people. It's only after somebody begins to identify with the social group that they learn the weird things and the weird things are acceptable because of the identification with the social group that practices the weirdness.

Where I live, the JW church is growing by leaps and bounds. It's growing because they are drawing in would-be and former gang members (a group they are reaching out to, while other's shy away from.)

There area people who have a deep need to 'belong' to a specialized group... one that offers a large amount of accountability and structure. Personally I'd much rather they attatch themselves to a church group than to a gang; while I would not convert to JW (I like to celebrate birthdays and hate to be shunned) I'm extremely happy that someone is trying to bring some light into a very dark place.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by world citizen on Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:00 pm

Sakhaiva ~

Leo Tolstoy is an amazing person; I really enjoy the full spectrum
of his life. He started so wealthy... over time he converted to
Christianity and took the Beatitudes literally. Following his writings,
I can assure you that he didn't take the easy way.

Tolstoy, however, struggled with the Christian attitude toward weaponry and war and wrote a number of essays on the subject, basically accusing most Christians (including the Church itself) of hypocrisy.
world citizen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top