Clothes shopping complaint

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Clothes shopping complaint

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:21 pm

Naw, I'm going to keep them and work at losing another five pounds by month's end. I know from past experience that I'll lose at least two inches off the bustline with ten more pounds off my Fat Dot self.

Besides, if I don't, I need to buy new bras, and I refuse to buy more when the ones I've got are perfectly good but too snug because I'm too fat. At $40-50 a pop unless I can find some on clearance, there's still more motivation to lose the weight.

Not fun, but I've gotta do it for health reasons, too. < sigh >
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:52 am

I just feel better when I am not carrying around a lot of extra weight. That's why I try to eat in moderation. I don't always succeed - I love cookies! And cake and pie and ice cream....

I also feel good about dressing up for work. I have some cute clothes and shoes but I hadn't bothered to put together stylish outfits for work in a long time mostly due to conditions at the old library - or at least so I told myself. Now that I am in my "ivory tower," with good air conditioning, a clean environment and patrons who dress up to visit, my sense of style has reasserted itself, I'm happy to say. It is such a temptation when one gets older to keep putting together the same outfits, wearing the same things one's always worn, even if they are 10 - 20 years out of date.

I read an article this morning about how French women never lose their sense of style as they get older. It struck a chord. Smile

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:45 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Another fruitless search today...

Noticed online that Penney's St. John's Bay tees looked really nice, a narrow crewneck that would dress up or down, described as regular weight fabric.

So I truck over to our nearby JCP's only to discover that the cut is terrific, the fabric smooth and just right...with those teeeeeny little short sleeves that are barely longer than a cap sleeve and hit me precisely mid-boob. I do not need that emphasis! I know from experience that I look far better with a short sleeve that's around six inches long from the top of my shoulder since that length will hit me just below the bustline.

Oh, well...back to the drawing board. I swear even Land's End has those teensy little sleeves on their short sleeve tees this summer! When the average bra size is a 36D anymore, you'd think they'd get the message.

I don't like the tiny sleeves either, for a different reason. I am very self-conscious about sweating and smelling bad (I know it's weird, I've been told by doctors it is sort of an obsession but there you have it), and the tiny sleeves are just too tight under the arms, even in the bigger sizes. Even though my friends swear up and down that I do not have issue with that, high school and having that said about me is still in my head.

I do better with the sleeves that are midway through my upper arm. I also have a scar on one upper arm from where I took a tea urn off too quickly at work and got boiling water down my arm, so I'd rather not show that. And I have the keeping-clothes-that-are-small-as-a-motivation-to-lose-weight too.

What does 'winter' mean in terms of coloring? I'm dark haired/dark eyed/olive, what would that make me?

Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:18 pm

BD your Warm, baby! LOL And hey, where are you at in GA?

Let it be known Dot, that the weight I've gained since my knee, (due to NOT walking long distance)...& eating here at the Dining Facility is really cramping my style this summer. I've went from a physical person to molting! My belly is the same size as my boobs! Ask Gilly, she knows...we hunt, & hunt, & hunt..hell I couldn't find a nice flowing summer sun dress. What the hell happened to them? I believe they're not made anymore. Gilly turned me on to this JJil, & Coldwater Creek stores! And those 2 tops? Well honies watch me flaunt my stuff this fall! A pretty light gray & soft light blue...goes great with jeans!

By the way those tee's with the short sleeves, see through paper mache' material, made me look like a beached whale....aka...shopped at the PX here on post, & didn't try them on just went with the size! Dumb mistake on my part, & at such a mature age.....(sigh live & learn, again).

BTW I caught a re run of "Golden Girls" last night, & what happened to those kind of foxy clothes they were wearing? Truly they are NOT being made anymore.
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:38 am

Beautiful_Dreamer wrote:
What does 'winter' mean in terms of coloring? I'm dark haired/dark eyed/olive, what would that make me?

That's difficult to say, BD. You might be a winter but could easily be an autumn. Depends upon whether your skintone is more grayish or warm tones.

If people tell you you look terrific when you wear bright, clear colors such as cherry red (not an orange-toned red), vivid turquoise, royal blue, royal purple, white and black, then you're likely a winter. Winters look best in the cool, clear bright shades. (That's me...a classic winter, but I have fair skin and gray-green eyes.) On the other hand, if you get rave reviews when you wear earthtones, you're an autumn.

One giveaway for me was that I recalled that every time I put on a yellow-orangey shirt I once had, I had to slather on the blusher and deep coral lip color to get it to brighten up my face. That color in clothing simply washed out my skintone. The makeup didn't do much to help. I must've looked like a clown!

Once you get colors that flatter your skintone--and it's skintone more than hair or eye color that matters--you'll absolutely glow.

Check Amazon or a bookstore for the book Color Me Beautiful by Carole Jackson. She's the developer of the seasonal approach. Her book is what I used to pinpoint my season. She even tells you how to choose the most flattering makeup shades.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:21 am

Very Happy Does she tell you how to dress when your short & dumpy also? Wink
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:46 pm

Actually, there is a section in the book on what lines are most flattering to certain figure types.

That said, I ignore all the fashion gurus even though they are right when they say that short women look better in slim skirts, definitely not the broomstick-style Southwest ones I love. Screw 'em. I hate wearing
oh-so-Talbots tailored styles even though I have a few things like that for when boringly conventional is more appropriate. Not me at all.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Fri Oct 08, 2010 12:24 am

Willow, I'm outside Atlanta, about 35 min SW. Where are you?
Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top