Clothes shopping complaint

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Clothes shopping complaint

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:38 pm

I swear, I'm going back to buying stuff at Deva Lifewear.

I can't find a single decent-looking top in regular stores that doesn't have fabric as flimsy as tissue paper, some bizarre sequins and other weird stuff stuck on it along with swirls of metallic fabric paint. Worse still, a bunch of shirts now come with blobby fake necklaces attached to the shirt. Even if the shirt were decent-looking, which they usually aren't, you'd have to take the shoulder seams apart to get those idiotic chain things off it. And then, the rest have those cute little cap sleeves that only look good on women built like models who also have next to nothing for shoulders.

So much for anything in a solid color.

For those of us who obviously have breasts, any shirt with a nice cut has two strategically placed fake pocket flaps exactly where we don't need enhancement and probably big buttons in a contrasting color to draw even more attention. Do these stores' designers not get it that only flat-chested women look good in that style?

I won't even launch into how grotesquely ugly practically everything in a print is anymore. Splashy, garish and simply awful.

GGGGRRRRRR!

Okay, rant's over. Must be the Universe's way of subtly hinting that I don't need more clothes. Ya think?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Re: Clothes shopping complaint

Post by gillyflower on Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:46 pm

I am changing up the styles I wear. Today I wore a knee length loose linen dress and black leggings underneath with a very pretty necklace. I'm calling it Yoga Chic. This dress:

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:46 pm

I always figure that not being able to find clothes that fit correctly (or close enough), or look reasonable, or are sturdy enough in a store is a sign that the management of that store doesn't want my money. The truly annoying part is that I hate visiting stores just to find out if they have clothes I might want to buy. Thus, my wardrobe of primarily well-worn clothing....
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:41 pm

I'm having to upgrade my clothes a bit right now. In the old library, I mostly wore khaki pants with a polo because I was working with dirty books in a smelly place, without any air conditioning and good clothes got ruined. The new library (we just opened) is clean and lovely and I'm in a genealogy/local history room that is really nice. So far the patrons that are coming in are dressed up (that might wear off) so I feel like I should dress up a little too. I have to say it is kind of nice but I have limited dressy work clothes.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:45 pm

Try Deva Lifewear, A Tone.

I still wear a tunic and palazzo pants I got from them around 20 years ago. It's looking a bit faded anymore but not the least bit worn. They use natural fabrics and sturdy ones.

They have mostly solid colors, lots of unisex clothes. All are well-made, few are as preppy looking as the stuff from Land's End or LL Bean.

If we could manage it, I'd make a trip to Santa Fe for some Southwest style things. I love that look. Certainly makes me a standout here as most women (especially the crones like me) wear Talbot's type stuff. So conventional I want to scream.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:10 pm

The clothes look comfortable which is important to me. Right now, I like yoga type clothes because they are so soft and comfortable. J Jill has a store in town and I've pick up a few pieces there. They just feel so good. It is considered a bit unconventional here, too.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:48 pm

Dot, it's been a long time since I saw shirts that look like what you mention! Ugh! Anyway, I've shopped at Kohl's since I moved here five years ago. I do that because I'm short but also have breasts, and so they sell the petite jeans and decent tops too. Sometimes I'll go into Target and get 2x or 16-18w t shirts and they will fit pretty well...I don't have a whole lot of tops I can wear that aren't solid color, a lot of my dress tops I've gotten too fat for. Sad Or too busty.

Do you have a Lane Bryant or Avenue where you are? I've seen nice shirts there, and you might not need the plus-sizes they sell but I usually wear a plus up top because I'm a DD...I am also *very* picky about the clothes being to tight in places (like the underarms) or if they are made out of synthetics vs. natural fabrics, but that's just me. Polyester bothers my skin.
Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:58 pm

Gilly! LOVE the Yoga Chic. I bet you look adorable!

There need to be more *realistic women* stores... I went shopping the other day and found racks of size 0's, 2's and 4's (I've NEVER been so tiny.)
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Dreamer--I've gotten some very nice tees at Target...until this spring when they started making theirs from fabric so thin that I actually could see the lines on my knuckles and outlines of my fingernails through the fabric when I tested one of the lighter-colored ones this past week. HORRID!

I can't imagine what they were thinking when they began stocking tees that flimsy. Sure, I often wear mine with a jacket, but I like to be able to take the jacket off without feeling undressed while presumably clothed.

Hmmm...hadn't ever thought to check Lane Bryant. That's good to know for us "boobular" women as my kid sister calls us...from the superior status of a B cup (she thinks).
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:25 pm

I love the term "boobular" Dot!!! LOL I get so disgusted trying to find shirts that are not so low cut that I'm falling out of them!

I think the flimsy tees are supposed to be layered....at least that's what all the teens are doing! At least in the summer you can layer them and not die from the heat!

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:14 am

Beribee wrote:I think the flimsy tees are supposed to be layered....at least that's what all the teens are doing! At least in the summer you can layer them and not die from the heat!

Quite probably so, and unfortunately for those of us well beyond the teen-twentysomething years, yet another indication that designers and buyers aren't interested in producing clothes that we want and can look even halfway nice wearing.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:39 am

You just have to go to the right shops, Dot. Some places are just for teens. I must admit that I have rarely found anything in Target or Old Navy that suits me aside from some staples like turtlenecks or sweaters. Coldwater Creek, Chicos, J.Jill all cater to women, just to name a few chains.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:59 am

I love Coldwater Creek!

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:00 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Dreamer--I've gotten some very nice tees at Target...until this spring when they started making theirs from fabric so thin that I actually could see the lines on my knuckles and outlines of my fingernails through the fabric when I tested one of the lighter-colored ones this past week. HORRID!

I can't imagine what they were thinking when they began stocking tees that flimsy. Sure, I often wear mine with a jacket, but I like to be able to take the jacket off without feeling undressed while presumably clothed.

Hmmm...hadn't ever thought to check Lane Bryant. That's good to know for us "boobular" women as my kid sister calls us...from the superior status of a B cup (she thinks).

LOL 'boobular'...I'll have to use that! Smile

Yeah, I hate the really thin tees too. They remind me of mens' undershirts.

Which reminds me, men have it so easy with shopping! If only *we* could buy jeans based on waist and inseam length rather than those two, the butt, the thighs, the ankles....etc...I think I have two or three pairs of jeans I wear over and over again (sometimes twice before washing them, learned in college. ) because most 'regular' stores don't carry the ones I wear. It's not that I'm fussy so much as short but with a long inseam for my height and a butt. Smile

American Eagle can *cost*, but has good sales. I also have to buy bras at department stores because a lot of the ones at 'regular' stores don't fit right or aren't true to size. At least the Olga and Bali bras are often on sale for decent prices, and they last a long time!
Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:43 pm

Lay out the bucks for a Victoria's Secret IPEX bra, BD. They are fantastic and last a loooong time. I even throw mine in the washer on delicate with some Woolite, and they still last for 2-3 years at least.

I used to wear Olga and Bali, but Vicki's are far better support for the boobular, IMO.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:11 pm

I went to Victoria's Secret awhile back and couldn't find anything above a C cup!

I've fallen in love with JC Penney's minimizer bras though....very comfy and they last a couple of years, too.

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:19 pm

Beribee wrote:I went to Victoria's Secret awhile back and couldn't find anything above a C cup!

How weird! The reason why I like Vicki's is that they usually have a variety of D's and DD's.

In fact, I can often find some really nice bras in the clearance tubs. I got my last two Ipexes for less than half price out of one of the clearance bins, and pretty colors, too.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:00 pm

Another fruitless search today...

Noticed online that Penney's St. John's Bay tees looked really nice, a narrow crewneck that would dress up or down, described as regular weight fabric.

So I truck over to our nearby JCP's only to discover that the cut is terrific, the fabric smooth and just right...with those teeeeeny little short sleeves that are barely longer than a cap sleeve and hit me precisely mid-boob. I do not need that emphasis! I know from experience that I look far better with a short sleeve that's around six inches long from the top of my shoulder since that length will hit me just below the bustline.

Oh, well...back to the drawing board. I swear even Land's End has those teensy little sleeves on their short sleeve tees this summer! When the average bra size is a 36D anymore, you'd think they'd get the message.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:21 pm

I got a v-neck t-shirt that comes to my elbow in red at JJill on Friday.Then a white tank top (not so low) to go under it so that I can wear it to work. It looks really nice I think. I'm with you about those cap sleeves. I don't like them on me anyway.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:33 am

I don't think I've ever been in a JJill store. Discovered from their website that there's one in the mall about ten miles from us and, better yet, another in my favorite mall about 20 miles away.

Perfect! I'll try there. Thanks, Gilly, that's a sleeve length I very much prefer.

I see so many older, large-breasted women in those little skimpy-sleeve tees who really don't look good. It's a look that does NOT work beyond one's twenties, I don't think.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:56 am

I agree. I like t-shirts that are longer both in the sleeve and body.

The store here is a small one and doesn't care much in Women's sizes 14W- 28 but they are available online. Willowcreek is a large-breasted woman and came away with two tops. They are generously sized - I usually wear an 8 and there I wear an S. I hope you can find something that works for you, if not there then somewhere else at the mall.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:44 am

Huh. There's one down in Oklahoma City. You know, I hadn't heard of this store up til now.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Got one each, white and navy, of the one shown in Gilly's posting above. Hmm...discovered that in their shirts a petite medium fits me much better than regular misses. I often buy slacks in petite but hadn't ever tried a top in that size range. Turns out, the shoulder seams hit me just right whereas they're sometimes a bit down onto my arm in regular which leaves me looking like a linebacker. I have broad shoulders for my small frame and have to be cautious about where my shoulder seam sits.

Hubby talked me into a white cotton slubweave sweater that is really nice looking, too. I love taking him along shopping for clothes. He has a much better eye than I do for what will look good on me. I invariably get compliments on things he's said would look good.

I almost ordered the red tee online. Good thing I didn't, because when I saw it in the store, I could tell that the color wouldn't look good on me, too close to a brick red. I'm your standard winter as color seasons go.

Their black, white and navy shirts are great, though. Thanks again, Gilly! They should give you a commission. Wink
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:44 pm

< sigh > Well, I take that back. The shirts almost-but-not-quite fit. The length is great, sleeve length same and shoulders perfect. I ought to have tried one on but foolishly assumed from their size charts that a medium would fit. A large would be too loose, and the mediums I got are too snug in the usual place.

Oh, well...I've lost five pounds since early spring and need to take off another ten, so I know they'll fit once I lose some more weight. Guess I bought some more motivation to peel off the poundage.

DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:13 pm

Oh, no, that's too bad! I wish you had tried it. Maybe you might take them back and see try some of the others.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top