Twain autobiog release soon

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Twain autobiog release soon

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:27 am

This should be something not to miss if you've ever enjoyed a book by Mark Twain aka Samuel Clemens.

Twain left instructions that his autobiography was not to be published until 100 years after his death. Guess what 2010 is? Yupper.

The first of three volumes is to be released in mid-November, and according to notes left by Twain, has been held all this time because he laid out the events of his life quite straightforwardly, so much so that the account likely would have been quite distressing to a good many people. Considering how brash his style tends to be anyway, I'm guessing he not only calls a spade a spade but shovels the dirt since he demanded so much time elapse before it could be published.

Information on when it was written varies, most indicating during the last decade of his life, but I hope not during his last few years when he had become embittered by the deaths of his wife and two of his three daughters. Not that much of what he wrote then doesn't still exhibit his masterful writing style, but it's often disconcertingly dark. A couple Prozac would be good fortification before reading some of his last works.

Lit geek that I am, I am soooooo excited. Best of all, the release is scheduled for the week of my birthday. How perfect is that?
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Re: Twain autobiog release soon

Post by gillyflower on Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:53 am

How interesting! I'm with you on hoping it wasn't written after his wife died. He really did become bitter and angry, poor thing.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:40 am

I did think it charming when I toured the Twain house in Hartford, Connecticut and learned that Twain and his wife, Olivia, slept with their heads at the foot of the bed after acquiring an elaborately handcarved Italian headboard. They reportedly were so enamored of the carvings that they wanted to be able to see them when awake rather than having them behind their heads. It really was an impressive headboard, although I'm not sure deserving of that much admiration. But then, the entire house is an example of Gilded Age splendor, much of which was designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Definitely not the style to appeal to many of us today.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:17 pm

But then, the entire house is an example of Gilded Age splendor, much
of which was designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany. Definitely not the
style to appeal to many of us today.

I've turned into an Ikea person .... easier to clean. (If I had the cash, I'd do my house in authentic modern, and oh so swanky, 50's/60's )

REALLY interesting about the autobiography DOT... what an interesting man!
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by ZenYen on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:38 am

I, too, have visited the Twain house. It's rather a Gilded Age showcase.
ZenYen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top