Terrific new weekly news magazine!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Terrific new weekly news magazine!

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:10 pm

I swear I'm not renewing my Newsweek subscription because it's obviously trying to toady to the twenty-thirtysomething text 'n' Twitter addict. I want a news mag that has decent prose and not the print equivalent of soundbytes.

Consequently, I am delighted with the premiere issue of The Christian Science Monitor Magazine. Thoughtful, in-depth analysis balanced by witty puff pieces such as one on how those plastic pots that bedding plants come in reproduce surreptitiously in one's garden shed, a process seemingly elevated to the fecundity of rabbits if the gardener cuts up said pots for use as hole stoppers when potting.

For those of you unfamiliar with The Christian Science Monitor's former guise, that of a small daily newspaper, it was for decades highly regarded as an example of largely bias-free journalism.

Don't be squeamish that the magazine will be too churchified for your tastes either. As with the newspaper, the magazine contains only a single fairly short religiously oriented article which is easy to avoid. All else is either solid reporting or useful information with an occasional Thoreau-like meditation on the natural world.

As is traditional with the Monitor, news articles attempt and generally have succeeded in the past in taking an elevated tone on catastrophic events. Instead of the blood and gore approach of the mainstream news mags, the Monitor can be relied upon to focus more on possible remedies and solutions than to wallow in the mire of the disaster.

Do take a look at it, and consider subscribing if you get an offer. It's only $13 for 26 weekly issues, a steal these days.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Re: Terrific new weekly news magazine!

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:20 pm

Christian Science Monitor?

Seriously?

allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:26 pm

Oh, yeah, all. It is not in the least your typical "Godwaving" publication such as most denominations put out.

The religion itself is pretty scary but their journalists do topnotch newswriting.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:37 pm

I guess weirder things have happened.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:38 pm

I haven't seen it yet but their daily Monitor was very highly regarded and was for years known for its balanced reporting. Here is an online link to it so you can judge for yourself:

http://www.csmonitor.com/

For example, under the pictures for celebrating the summer solstice at Stonehenge, they show a Druid priest. I'm betting not too many Christian magazines run features on Summer Solstice.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:54 pm

gillyflower wrote:For example, under the pictures for celebrating the summer solstice at Stonehenge, they show a Druid priest. I'm betting not too many Christian magazines run features on Summer Solstice.

Not to mention referring to New Agers and Neo-Pagan celebrants respectfully.

This is a simply stunning photo of the henge, I thought.

http://www.csmonitor.com/CSM-Photo-Galleries/In-Pictures/Summer-Solstice-at-Stonehenge

Rats! I can't get it to link to that specific photo. It's #9 in the series anyway.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:23 pm

Seriously though.

Let alone the problems that I have with having "Christian" in the title. When you ad "science" in there you might as well call the magazine...

"The how to slaughter babies for fun and profit (and they taste good too!) monitor"

I'm not sure I could get over the name alone.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:31 pm

Ah, well , in that case you'll miss out, All.

Dot, that is a fantastic picture!

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:33 pm

Actually, I'm just being a smart ass. I'm checking it out. It's just taking forever 'cause I'm playing bloons tower defense 4 while I'm doing it.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:27 pm

Weelll, I'm inclined to agree that there's nothing scientific about their "healthcare" methods.

However, what most people don't know is that Christian Scientists are not forbidden to use medical doctors when they feel it's necessary. They're supposed to try their sanctioned avenues first--studying the daily lesson, prayer or consulting a certified CS practitioner--but are encouraged to use their judgment and seek emergency or other regular medical care if that seems advisable.

I recall being somewhat surprised when my former mother-in-law, a lifelong CSer, mentioned once that she'd gone to a doctor for what turned out to be a badly sprained ankle. She explained that when a person suspects that a bone may be broken, then going to a doctor is quite acceptable. The reason was something like that being considered a structural adjustment whereas illness is regarded as a state of spiritual misalignment. The distinctiion certainly escaped me, but she emphasized that any Christian Scientist may seek whatever treatment s/he feels would be beneficial although cosmetic surgery would be a major no-no. Not too many good Christian Scientists getting boob implants and nose jobs, I concluded. Wink

As my ex put it once when we saw a news story about some CS parents whose kid died of peritonitis from a burst appendix, "Their zeal overcame their better judgment."
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:46 pm

That is correct. A dear friend of mine is a Christian Scientist and she has has used medical doctors and medicine whenever she felt that she needed it. She didn't make the distinction between bones and the rest of the body. She just tried CS practitioners first and if she didn't get better, she went to a doctor.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:51 pm

How she regarded broken bones might have been my ex-mom-in-law's take on it for all I know.

I had a friend in grad school who was training to become a practitioner, and she didn't make any such distinction from what I recall of our conversations about CS healing. However, she was much more adamant that she would not consider going to a doctor without having first called in a practitioner.

I remember she told me they'd sent their son and daughter to Christian Science boarding schools rather than get the kids vaccinated. If they'd had no choice but to send the kids to public school, then of course they'd have abided by the vaccination requirements. They preferred that their kids be schooled without conflicting messages about health vs. Health in the CS sense of its being oneness with God...in a manner of speaking.

My ex was no longer active in Christian Science, but I don't recall his going to a doctor for anything but physicals or vaccinations he was required to get. He was a helluva lot healthier than me, too. He hardly ever got sick and when he did, it almost never affected him much for more than a day or two which could have been genetics, of course, but I sometimes wonder if mind over matter isn't far more powerful than we think.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Title correction

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:39 am

Not that I'm anal or anything, but I ought to have referred to this new magazine merely as The Christian Science Monitor since it replaces the daily newspaper.

I know...only a somewhat anal ex-English teacher would feel this correction was necessary. Come to think of it, being anal-retentive could reasonably be said to be a requirement for English teachers... The breed isn't exactly one of which many students are overly fond, too often for very good reason.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:22 am

The extended CS family that I knew had to deal with some pretty interesting stuff - one was homosexuality. I gathered that this group thought that practitioners could "heal" the young man, not that the other people were insisting on it for him, he did for himself. Alas, it did not work. It took him a long time to accept himself as he was, much longer I think than it should have because it was, to him, a failure in himself of belief as well. The belief that it is all mind over matter can have tragic results.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:30 am

The Christian Science Monitor always had a good rep in journalism circles. In college, I always said I wanted to either work there for the rep, or the Weekly World News for the fun in making up the stories.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:05 am

I'm a 'fan' of the Christian Science Monitor on facebook. Their FB presence isn't very riveting but it may get better in time.

They do have the best unbiased journalism out there. Of course, I *am* slightly biased toward CS since, as I've mentioned in my history lessons, Christian Science was the mother of Divine Science, Religious Science, Unity, and from that the New Age movement. It's my opinion from studying the religious movements in American history that the modern form of paganism also owes CS it's due, because without the New Age and New Thought movements, the pagan movement would be as 'accepted' as it was in the 1870s - in other words, not.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:06 pm

gillyflower wrote:The extended CS family that I knew had to deal with some pretty interesting stuff - one was homosexuality. I gathered that this group thought that practitioners could "heal" the young man, not that the other people were insisting on it for him, he did for himself. Alas, it did not work. It took him a long time to accept himself as he was, much longer I think than it should have because it was, to him, a failure in himself of belief as well. The belief that it is all mind over matter can have tragic results.

Interesting that you mention this issue, Gilly. I recall discussing it with ex once since I'd learned enough about CS by then to figure that they probably wouldn't be very accepting of homosexuality.

I remember he said that the pressure is usually quite subtle to "correct one's thinking" in that case and all the more pervasive for that reason. The church's stated position is that Love, being one of their synonyms for God, is manifested within hetero marriage. They don't quite come right out and say that anyone who doesn't want to marry someone of the opposite gender is deviant, but anything they regard as contrary to the biblical natural order is in need of adjustment. Not surprising that this man sought the help of a practitioner.

I found a number of their takes on things to be more OT than NT myself. Quite a number of other denominations regard them as not really Christian since even though they refer to Jesus as The Messiah, he's not believed to be God.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top