Doctor Who

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Doctor Who

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:01 pm

Because Dot and I seem to be discussing it, what do you guys think of Matt Smith in the role? Who is your favor Doctor? Did Paul McGann get the shaft? Discuss all things Who here! Warn people if you are going to have spoilers!!!

A few months ago, I started the ambitious project of watching every Doctor Who episode ever aired, starting with William Hartnell in An Unearthly Child. I am now in Tom Baker land in season 13, at this very moment watching the episode called The Brain of Morbius. Sarah Jane has been made temporarily blind. Now I have seen The Sarah Jane Adventures, so I am really not all that worried that it will turn out badly. But I do want to see how it ends.

I am really not all that pleased with Eleven, because he seems to combine all the rudeness of Nine with all the spazziness of Ten, with the charm of neither. Anyone who is my facebook friend no doubt saw me writing hatemail to Steven Moffat not to long ago. I am not going to address why, because I think that still falls into the land of spoilers here in the states. Lets just say I don't care nearly as much about what happens to the current incarnation of the Doctor as I have for past Doctors. Season finale is right around the corner. Steven Moffat still has time to fix it. Let's see if he does.

Okay, everybody. Your turn.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Re: Doctor Who

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:00 pm

I haven't been faithfully watching Dr. Who all that long so can't speak much about any doctor prior to the current and two prior ones. Caught a few episodes years ago when it was on PBS but never really got enthralled in it until I hooked up with hubby who persuaded me that I hadn't really given the show a chance to hook me.

I've gotta say that I think Tennant's finale was one of the most touching bits I've seen in years. I honestly got so caught up in his wanting to tie up loose ends before his transformation that it began to seem quite real to me.

He brought a playfulness and sexiness to the role that was delightful.

Smith is odd by comparison. I don't even like his manner in the commentaries. Simply an odd duck all around.

And I can't tell yet if it's Karen Gillan's character or simply her. She acts as if she's either dense or on drugs about a third of the time. Something very off about the Amy persona.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:54 pm

I saw a Doctor Who episode here and there but didn't really become a watcher until quite recently. I think 9 had the best look to me but I like the current Doctor. Matt Smith (whom we were calling the Baby Doctor for awhile) is very odd and I like that. His tardis is more steampunk in a way.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:41 pm

I really like the Matt Smith Dr.-he has quirkiness that is reminscent of Tom Baker before he got bored with the role and started dating Romana.

My favorite companion is still Leela of surveyteam.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:19 pm

I watched my first two episodes yesterday. They were pretty good! No idea what was going on but easy to watch. Don't know who's who.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:10 pm

I think we brought this up before but I was blown away by the related Torchwood arc "The Children of Earth." That is all I've seen of the series but wow, that and Captain Jack Harkness, was good.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:33 pm

David Tennant is the ultimate Doctor Who, the only one to eclipse the iconic Tom Baker. Mat Smith is just the Oncoming Spaz following the Oncomming Storm (Dalek name for the Doctor).

Watching School reunion with David Tennant with both Sarah Jane and K9 as well as Rose and Micky was awesome. Seeing Captain Jack every time he was with the Doctor was cool, but seeing him try to make Torchwood into something worthy of the Doctor without the Doctors powers or TARDIS to fall back on was in many ways even cooler.

You want ultimate TV moments, try watching Captain Jack Harkness and Captain John Hart (James Marsten aka Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) trashing a bar alternating kissing and killing each other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj7Q2M5hB5A&feature=related
Best line
Jack"How you been"
John"Rehabs, four"
Jack"Plural? Sex, Drugs, Booze and......?"
John"Murder"

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:19 am

gillyflower wrote:I think we brought this up before but I was blown away by the related Torchwood arc "The Children of Earth." That is all I've seen of the series but wow, that and Captain Jack Harkness, was good.

Oh, geez, Gilly...get the entire Torchwood series then. It only ran for a few years and was a terrific series we thought.

Especially affecting was the episode about how Captain Jack got that name, a pseudonym.

David Tennant is pretty good eye candy; John Barrowman is fantastic, IMO. (So sad that the very best eye candy typically is thoroughly gay... Crying or Very sad)

We often made somewhat early dinner reservations on Saturday evenings as we hated to miss a moment of Torchwood even though we were recording every episode.

Last edited by DotNotInOz on Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:28 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : correct two errors)
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:23 am

John T Mainer wrote:You want ultimate TV moments, try watching Captain Jack Harkness and Captain John Hart (James Marsten aka Spike from Buffy the Vampire Slayer) trashing a bar alternating kissing and killing each other.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hj7Q2M5hB5A&feature=related
Best line
Jack"How you been"
John"Rehabs, four"
Jack"Plural? Sex, Drugs, Booze and......?"
John"Murder"

No lie, John. Marsten said in one of the interview segments, I recall, that that scene was immensely fun to do.

The dynamics between those two characters were pretty intense, to put it mildly.

In general, I really liked how forthrightly the series used homosexuality and bisexuality.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:10 pm

Torchwood is coming out with a fourth series. I can't wait! But I do miss my dead gay Ianto.

http://www.technofinger.com/08-06-2010/torchwood-series-4-confirmed/

Of course, there has also been talk of doing a US version. All I can say is please, please, please, please no!!!

We invariably screw up British TV when we do our own version, and I don't want this one screwed up.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:55 pm

sacrificialgoddess wrote:Torchwood is coming out with a fourth series. I can't wait! But I do miss my dead gay Ianto.

Heartily agreed, SG. I cried like crazy when Ianto died.

Fantastic about a new Torchwood! That is the greatest series, and I agree also that if the U.S. decides to do a version, it'll just screw it over majorly.

Could be some interesting dynamics what with Rhys and Gwen's having a kid, especially if Davies continues to develop a more-than-work relationship between Jack and Gwen.

Coolness! Mega-COOL!

:::::: does happy new Eureka and eventually new Torchwood dance ::::::
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:35 pm

I liked Christopher Eccleson. Mostly because I liked him as Raymond Calitre in "Gone in Sixty Seconds".

I was upset when he left after a year, but David Tenant won me over, albeit slowly.

Matt Smith has not done so, yet. I'm not sure if he will, or won't at this point. He doesn't seem to have that quirkiness that David Tenant did, or the dark playfulness that Christopher Eccleson did. He could develop something all his own though.

I don't know about Karen Gillan. She just doesn't seem there, really. Amy Pond seems like Karen Gillan, and Karen Gillan seems like Amy Pond, at least on the "insiders" that they show of her. No offense to her, but it leaves me wondering who she slept with to get that job.

And does anyone else think that she bears a slight resemblance to a "Slavine"?
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:51 pm

Gotta agree with ya, all, about who Gillan slept with to get the role.

Maybe now that the fiance got offed in Saturday's episode freeing Amy to roam around with the Doc, she'll seem more like a live human instead of a robot whose circuits are firing only part of the time. Guess we'll see.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Good thing I watched that episode this morning.

I wish I could catch the old torchwood in repeats. Not sure why BBC america is showing old Star Treks.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:24 pm

I haven't watched the last 2 Doctor Who because I have to watch it On Demand and was told it was a two parter. I'll make time for them now.

gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:31 pm

Ooopsie! Guess I really ought to have marked that with "Spoiler Alert!" shouldn't I?

I found it so unenthralling that I went to sleep before it was over and hubby woke me saying, "Hey, you may want to see the end of this one."

I think a large part of the problem is the scripts currently. Hubby remarked that this season is beginning to seem more like horror movies than Dr. Who.

I'm somewhat more disenchanted with Moffat than I initially thought I might be.

And I swear, Karen Gillan still seems like she doesn't know what the hell she's doing. Where's the sparkle and chemistry that was so delightful between Donna or Martha and the doc? Donna and Martha seemed like interesting people that I cared about. Amy Pond is simply tagging along when she doesn't seem spaced out.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:42 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Ooopsie! Guess I really ought to have marked that with "Spoiler Alert!" shouldn't I?

I found it so unenthralling that I went to sleep before it was over and hubby woke me saying, "Hey, you may want to see the end of this one."

I think a large part of the problem is the scripts currently. Hubby remarked that this season is beginning to seem more like horror movies than Dr. Who.

Ya know, he might have a point. Part of what I liked about the other Dr. Who is that they would come up with solutions that I couldn't think of. These are a tad to predictable, relying on the creature and situations special effects a bit too much.

DotNotInOz wrote:

And I swear, Karen Gillan still seems like she doesn't know what the hell she's doing. Where's the sparkle and chemistry that was so delightful between Donna or Martha and the doc? Donna and Martha seemed like interesting people that I cared about. Amy Pond is simply tagging along when she doesn't seem spaced out.

What I wouldn't give to see an episode with a bit of the Dr/Donna.....

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:27 pm

I don't know if it was Moffat's idea or just whose, but hubby mentioned that the emphasis once Davies and Tennant left was to give some unknowns a shot.

So far, Gillan is one I wish had remained unknown.

Hubby and I were discussing this on our way out to lunch this afternoon. He mentioned that Catherine Tate (Donna) and Freema Wotsername (Martha) were both established actresses before their Who stints whereas Gillan is of the "Who the hell is SHE and what has she done that anyone remembers?" variety.

OMG! Gillan has no idea whatsoever how to put together a glamourous ensemble if this is a representative example.

Who let her out of the house wearing this mishmash????

Can you believe that bag and shoes with such a gorgeous dress???? Someone needs to give the woman some serious advice on how to dress well.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:05 pm

She does have the legs for a mini skirt though.....

I tend not to notice fashion stuff in general.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Sounds like hubby. His standard assessment is, "Hmmmm...not bad. Could use more skin, though."
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:21 pm

I think we'd get along.

allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Davelaw on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:15 am

In case anyone is interested, Blink replays on BBC America at 4 pm central. The best David Tennant episode in my opinion at least.
Davelaw

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:35 am

DotNotInOz wrote:Gotta agree with ya, all, about who Gillan slept with to get the role.

Maybe now that the fiance got offed in Saturday's episode freeing Amy to roam around with the Doc, she'll seem more like a live human instead of a robot whose circuits are firing only part of the time. Guess we'll see.

I wanted to kill Steven Moffat when they killed Rory. Its not that I liked him all that much, but it was pointless, and I was sorry to see him go. The only, only reason they had to kill of Rory was to open a way to a relationship between Amy and the Doctor, and haven't we seen enough Companion screwing in the past? I was so happy there was a long term male Companion for the Doctor, we haven't seen that in years. And then they had to go and ruin it!

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:40 am

DotNotInOz wrote:I don't know if it was Moffat's idea or just whose, but hubby mentioned that the emphasis once Davies and Tennant left was to give some unknowns a shot.

So far, Gillan is one I wish had remained unknown.

Hubby and I were discussing this on our way out to lunch this afternoon. He mentioned that Catherine Tate (Donna) and Freema Wotsername (Martha) were both established actresses before their Who stints whereas Gillan is of the "Who the hell is SHE and what has she done that anyone remembers?" variety.

Freema Agyeman

DotNotInOz wrote:
OMG! Gillan has no idea whatsoever how to put together a glamourous ensemble if this is a representative example.

Who let her out of the house wearing this mishmash????

Can you believe that bag and shoes with such a gorgeous dress???? Someone needs to give the woman some serious advice on how to dress well.

Are dresses that long in? I can't keep track.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:32 pm

Maybe it was just me, but even though redheads are braver than they once were and now wear any shade of red that they like, I didn't think this deep mauve did much at all for her skintone or hair color.

She ain't no Dietrich either, someone who could have worn that style with finesse.

Now, I could see her in some of the Mary Quant/Carnaby Street styles of the 60's. She'd be stunning in that sort of thing, I think.

Hubby and I were talking about the Rory-Amy-Doc triangle yesterday. We concluded that it would have been a lot more satisfying and believable had Rory simply said, "Look, I can't keep running around with you two. I've got a career that's languishing meantime. Decide which of us it'll be, Amy, and look me up if you've a mind to."

Both of us thought we'd like him a whole lot more if he demonstrated some backbone instead of merely waffling about. Killing him off was more a cheap shock than anything else, we thought.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top