Learn CPR!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Learn CPR!

Post by gillyflower on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:25 pm

I have had too exciting a morning. In addition to a new crown (and that wasn't fun) I started off the day hearing someone outside have hysterics, so I went out and asked what the problem was. It was the daughter of the woman who lives next door (they don't live together) and she had arrived to find that the garage door was wide open, the car door was open, the door to the house was open, so was the refrigerator door and her mother was lying on the floor cold and (she thought) dead. She said about an hour and a half earlier, the house alarm had gone off and the security company had dispatched someone, but no problems. She came over herself because her mother wasn't answering her phone and had missed her first appointment. She thought the security company couldn't have checked the house. My mistake #1, I didn't go inside to check for myself because I thought that might be a tad bit ghoulish and insensitive. I asked if she had called the EMT people, she said she had called the police. Mistake #2. Always call for EMT rather than say you found a dead body.

Police arrive and they thought she was dead too, then the EMT arrive. I went back inside and called an ex-neighbor who was very good friends with her who was a nurse. I didn't want her to hear it somewhere else. Then went back outside (I had the appointment for the crown and they had blocked my driveway and parked on my lawn) and the police said they had got her breathing again and she was fine. Everyone drives away, neighbor in the emergeny vehicle.

I'm going to take a CPR class and I'm going to check for myself in the future.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Learn CPR!

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:33 pm

CPR is pretty easy really, but taking the class is a good idea. It gives ya a good feel for the compressions.

Check local fire departments, and community colleges. Sometimes they'll teach it for free, or just what it costs them to rent the space and dummies.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:07 pm

Yeah, it's been too many years since I had one of those. Wouldn't be a bad idea to update that for sure.

Sounds like you had more excitement than anyone needs, Gilly.

(And yes, getting a crown is no fun at all. I was chapped when my dentist told me a back molar with a large prophylactic filling in it had cracked, and I should get a crown. Nasty procedure!)
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:53 pm

We had to take it in middle school umpteen years ago, and I don't remember a thing from it. I've thought it might come in handy to do it again myself.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:40 pm

I keep my Industrial First Aid ticket, and CPR and AED tickets current for the same reason I keep the full first aid kit in the trunk; I keep running across people trying hard to die in front of me, and the police are slightly more dangerous than drunken monkeys when it comes to attending accidents. I had to stop them in Quesnel last week from killing a women with serious head injuries and C-spine trauma by playing twenty questions from both sides of the car causing the driver holding C-spine to wiggle her head like a bobble head doll as he turned from one to the other (trapped in the shattered car and not tracking well himself either).

Always assume you are the only person who has a clue, that nobody has done the obvious or called the ambulance. Never assume anybody checked for other injured people, checked for existing dangers, or summoned emergency services. The police are spotty for summoning assistance when required. If someone is able to move, they concentrate on thier paperwork and don't bother to get them checked out for injuries. I have seen them questioning accident victims whose concussion progressed to the point of their passing out from standing and almost drowing in their own volmit, just because they "didn't say they were hurt".

I'd sound less bitter if they showed they retained half the knowledge my pre-adolescent children did from their own first aid training.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top