Super Volcano (Re:2012?)

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Super Volcano (Re:2012?)

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:06 am

Eh, well. I recycle as much as possible even to maintaining the still largely un-American habit of using my own shopping bags about 95% of the time. I've become almost fanatical answering the question, "Do we really need this?" to prevent adding more junk.

I'm 60, so I figure that I'm doing what little I can to keep the planet livable a while longer. Beyond that, I simply hope it's unlikely we'll finish it off in what remains of my lifetime. Although, I must confess that this disastrous BP spill makes me wonder...

Gotta shuffle off this mortal coil eventually. I'm hoping to do so fairly quickly and painlessly with little mess, so an asteroid's aid wouldn't be amiss. [pun intended...heh heh]
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:31 am

I carry my own shopping bags, too, Dot, although I forget them once in a while. It is a very easy change to make. A couple of local stores have started rewarding people for having their own bags, too. If more businesses charged people for the bags, it would help.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:08 am

Most businesses charge for carrier bags here (usually only a nominal sum like 5p). It doesn't appear to have made much difference.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:46 am

It certainly doesn't make much difference here that stores offer at most 10 cents for each reusable bag...and that's only at Whole Foods as far as I know. Most regular supermarkets sell reusable bags with their logo on them but only a few of those credit reusables. One discount store gives 5 cents credit. Consequently, only the most conscientious bring in reusable bags.

If people were charged 50 cents each for store-provided bags, I bet a lot more would re-use those or buy sturdier reusables.

As ever, path of least resistance governs what most of us do.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:18 am

Ebon wrote:
gillyflower wrote:The plague killed 1/3 of Europeans (could be 1/4 to 1/2) so don't rule out a new virulent disease. I really think that it is more likely that a new disease will decimate the human population than anything else.

Want me to terrify you? May I present Ebola Zaire (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebola). Highly infectious, 90% fatality rate, no known treatment. The CIEBOV variant is 100% fatal but only to primates (so far). It mutates quickly (five known variants within the last thirty years) and it's wiped out 88% of observed chimpanzee populations in the last seven years alone.

Ebon wrote:Here's another one: Toutatis 4179. It's an asteroid that orbits earth roughly every four years. Because it sort-of tumbles through space and crosses the orbits of Apollo, Alinda (both large stable asteroids), Mars and us, it's orbit is erratic and hard to predict. In 2004, it came within 4 lunar distances (1,537,612 km. For comparison, Mars is roughly 78 million km away). Astronomically, the thing is parting our hair.

It gets worse: Toutatis is a planet-killer. It's big enough that if it ever hit us, or passed sufficiently close, it would wipe out all higher life forms on earth. A few bacteria and maybe very simple life like algae might survive but that would be game over for everything more complex. It's chances of collision are considered slim but, because of it's unique and unpredictable trajectory, it can't be ruled out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4179_Toutatis

Hey, sometimes I'd flip the switch myself, just to watch it all burn.

So that doesn't terrify me at all......
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:52 pm

Ebon wrote:
gillyflower wrote: But really, isn't every day a gift?

No. Every day is another dead-end grind to occupy time in a world that's overheating, drowning and probably (BP spill) enviromentally fucked. Humans are, generally, petty, cruel, vindictive, vicious, not very intelligent, actively resentful of actual intelligence, greedy and hateful. The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt and the stupid are winning.

I can't believe I actually agree with the crazy luciferian.

I try and be positive because that's my choice/religion, but inherently I've always been a depressed pessimist which is why I moved into a positive/happy religion to try and change my mindset/make it through life. Some days it works, some days I'm tying the noose to hang myself. Mental supplements do help but they don't make a miracle happy-pill.

As my laundry girl says, "Why am I still here? Surely God could find someone else to fold towels." I've adopted it to my use.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:20 pm

Ya need one of these...

I find this hilarious too...

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:35 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:
Ebon wrote:
gillyflower wrote: But really, isn't every day a gift?

No. Every day is another dead-end grind to occupy time in a world that's overheating, drowning and probably (BP spill) enviromentally fucked. Humans are, generally, petty, cruel, vindictive, vicious, not very intelligent, actively resentful of actual intelligence, greedy and hateful. The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt and the stupid are winning.

I can't believe I actually agree with the crazy luciferian.

I try and be positive because that's my choice/religion, but inherently I've always been a depressed pessimist which is why I moved into a positive/happy religion to try and change my mindset/make it through life. Some days it works, some days I'm tying the noose to hang myself. Mental supplements do help but they don't make a miracle happy-pill.

As my laundry girl says, "Why am I still here? Surely God could find someone else to fold towels." I've adopted it to my use.

Awwwww guys.... just purse your lips and whistle and....:

Always look on the bright side of life
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:39 am

Very Happy

I just love gallows humor.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:18 pm

Teehee, me too. Very Happy Thanks Sak!

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ebon on Thu Jun 17, 2010 4:27 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote: I can't believe I actually agree with the crazy luciferian.

Both a Luciferian AND crazy.

Mental supplements do help but they don't make a miracle happy-pill.

I hear that. Everything you see from me for the last year and a half is me medicated to the point of near-comatose. Even with the phonomenal amount of drugs they have me on, this is as good as I get.
Ebon

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:14 pm

I've been taking a daily combination of Sam-e and 5-HTP for seratonin production. I think it does quite well, and I'm grateful to Europe for discovering and utilizing Sam-e.

TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top