Racism Runs Rampant In AZ

Go down

Racism Runs Rampant In AZ

Post by TPaine on Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:13 pm

Nothing that happens in Arizona surprises me anymore. They are fast becoming the most racist state in the country.

The principal of an Arizona elementary has asked the artists to lighten the faces of Black and Hispanic children in a mural on the school.

City Councilman Steve Blair spearheaded a public campaign on his talk show at Prescott radio station KYCA-AM (1490) to remove the mural.

In a broadcast last month, according to the Daily Courier in Prescott, Blair mistakenly complained that the most prominent child in the painting is African-American, saying: "To depict the biggest picture on the building as a Black person, I would have to ask the question: Why?"

Since Blair started his campaign on his radio show the head the Project Director says:
"We consistently, for two months, had people shouting racial slander
from their cars," Wall said. "We had children painting with us, and here
come these yells of (epithet for Blacks) and (epithet for Hispanics)."

Read more: Link

I just wonder if Councilman Blair wears his sheet and pointy hood to council meetings.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Re: Racism Runs Rampant In AZ

Post by gillyflower on Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:57 pm

It really doesn't surprise me. I grew up in Arizona. We had one black family that attended our school and one Asian family. No kidding, that was it. We had more Mexicans and Indians (a small reservation was down the road from me) but not that much. One of my best friends was Mexican but she had green eyes and light brown hair, no accent, and her parents lived in the states so that she and her sister could go to school. Their main residence was in Mexico City. As a side note, her family looked down on Mexicans of mixed ancestry. They counted themselves of pure Spanish decent and I gathered that they thought this was a Big Deal. They socialized with whites.

The Indians mixed with no one, neither did the Mexicans much. If I'd dated one my mother and the other people in the country club, which was lily white, would have died - there was very little mixing. When the local college turned university put blacks on the football team they were called locally, and I'm not kidding, Kush's Coons.

What I'm saying here is that when I was young, there was little racial tension because the races that weren't white were invisible. In my lifetime, I've seen that change. I have a feeling that a lot of people in Arizona would like to turn back the clock.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:51 pm

I cannot agree with the notion that Arizona is a racist state simply because of a stupid comment (that Steve Blair refused to retract, even after being sacked from his gig.) I say this because I have several close friends that moved to Arizona within the past decade, friends who all happen to all be Hispanic; Hispanic and doing a hell of a lot better than I am with no problems dealing with racial tensions, police interaction, or anything.

Arizona was given a bad rap over the recent illegal immigration law; what people forget is that California has had a similar law in place for well over a decade. Arizona had to do something; Lord knows the Federal government has failed offering any help and the Mexican drug cartels have become totally out of control within the past few years. (I tend to believe that if we legalize drugs, the drug cartels will lose their power, and these problems will evaporate like a passing storm. Worked with the mob during prohibition. Overly simplistic view, I know, but sometimes simple works.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/24/us/24border.html

"A home invasion here last year was carried out by attackers wielding
military-style rifles and dressed in uniforms similar to a Phoenix
police tactical unit. The discovery of grenades and other
military-style weaponry bound for Mexico is becoming more routine, as
is hostage-taking and kidnapping for ransom, law enforcement officials
said."

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2009/03/22/us/BORDER.html
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:33 pm

I agree with you, Sakhaiva, on the need to control the drug cartel violence, and also believe that legalizing drugs would go a long way towards doing that. My problem is that people like Steve Blair and Russell Pearce can actually be elected in Arizona. Blair expressed his racist views on the radio, and Pearce sent literature from a neo-Nazi group to his supporters. Link Further, there are new laws that prohibit ethnic studies programs in schools and prevent teachers with accents from teaching English. Link 2
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:16 pm

Where's the ACLU on this? Sounds to me like a class action case that's tailor-made.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:45 pm

TPaine wrote: My problem is that people like Steve Blair and Russell Pearce can actually be elected in Arizona.

You've got a good point TPaine....

What's really crazy is that the school grabbed it's ankles and did pressure the artists to alter the mural... then they changed it back to the original shades. I wonder if the artists received extra pay (must be something positive in all this.)
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:06 pm

Actualy, I can understand why the school's officials may have caved to pressure to alter the mural and later put it back as it had been.

Public school employees are public servants, and the word "servant" must sometimes be taken quite literally. Such take their orders from the community.

While it does sometimes happen that an adminisrator would refuse to have the mural altered in a situation of this type, they'd typically do whatever seemed to be most popular.

A teacher, principal or superintendent even though clearly morally right who acts in opposition to a higher elected official or "community standards" will usually not have a job for much longer.

There really isn't much that resembles academic freedom at the K-12 level.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:39 pm

DotNotInOz wrote:Where's the ACLU on this? Sounds to me like a class action case that's tailor-made.
The ACLU is right where it should be on Arizona's racial profiling bill (SB 1070). They are fully involved on getting its implementation blocked. Link As far as the school mural goes, the problem is moot since the mural was returned to its original condition. The problem that is left is far more difficult. Somehow a way must be found to change the mind of bigots who elect the Steve Blair's and Russell Pearce's of the world. I believe in the words Jefferson wrote in the Declaration of Independence that say, "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." As much as I admire him as a true Enlightenment figure It's a shame that even Jefferson didn't have it right. He neglected to add parenthetically, "except for the 185 slaves that I happen to own.

BTW, I just want to add a brief off topic note here to House Minority Leader John Boehner. The Preamble to the Constitution goes as follows, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America." Anyone who serves in the United States House of Representatives should know that, especially when they are holding a copy of the Constitution in their hand. Obviously, that message hasn't gotten through to the Republicans yet. Link 2
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:50 pm

TPaine wrote:
DotNotInOz wrote:Where's the ACLU on this? Sounds to me like a class action case that's tailor-made.
...They are fully involved on getting its implementation blocked. Link As far as the school mural goes, the problem is moot since the mural was returned to its original condition.

Well, mega-DUH, Dot! I must've been sleep-posting on that one. Embarassed
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:02 am

I find it ironic that some people consider asking hispanics to obey the law 'racist'.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:45 pm

When I taught in Southwest Kansas, the rumor that immigration was going to do a sweep through the area meant that around 20-25% of the high school's students would be absent for at least a couple of weeks.

Some of those students were American citizens by dint of having been born in the U.S.; however, their parents usually weren't.

Frankly, I think it's preposterous that where you're born rather than to whom carries more weight. If neither of your parents has a legal right to be in this country, I don't think that the ability to produce you is sufficient grounds for you to be a citizen.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TPaine on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:32 pm

TigersEyeDowsing wrote:I find it ironic that some people consider asking hispanics to obey the law 'racist'.
Asking them to obey the law isn't the problem, TED. Racial profiling is the problem, along with changing the burden of proof. Citizens who are picked up because they were out jogging or whatever and left their papers at home can now be arrested and held until they can prove they are citizens. Russell Pearce, the state senator who is writing all these laws now wants to introduce one that would deny citizenship to children of illegals who are born in the US. I guess he never read the 14th Amendment.
TPaine

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down