I've Got the Fruitless-Resume Blues

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I've Got the Fruitless-Resume Blues

Post by Sakhaiva on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:20 pm

Well... I admit it. I'm out of juice.

I've sent out more resume/cover letters in the past few months than I've sent out my entire life and they have returned empty (sans 2 depressing interviews where I've been commended for my experience & recommendations ... but told I just didn't fit in)

For the first time I've got no ideas... no plans... aside from standing on a street corner singing my blues.

Anyone else wanna sing with me?

grrrr..... *sigh* (ready to turn this garbage into some new energy)
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Re: I've Got the Fruitless-Resume Blues

Post by gillyflower on Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:53 pm

Sak, have you had someone look over your resume and cover letters? Around here, the job situation has only just started to improve, so I wouldn't give up hope yet.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:41 pm

Thanks Gilly.

There's a resume-building clinic coming up, I'm planning on taking mine to have it reviewed. I might be too passive sounding for the times.

When you look at something for a long time... it is very helpful to hand it over to a pair of fresh eyes.

Well.... on a positive note, my flute playing is much improved and I'm hiking more often. There's something to be said for premature retirement.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:42 am

Do take the advice, especially if you can run it by several people and they say the same thing. Plus you may want to investigate a clinic where they give you tips on interviewing and power dressing.

Another thing to think about is changing your profession? This may be the time to retrain as a computer designer or math teacher, whatever you once thought you might like to do, if you had the chance. Going to school may get you networking or thinking about related things you might like to try or where your talents would shine. I'm sure you have thought of this too but volunteering might help. We have a volunteer now who hopes it will give him an edge when a job opens up. Also temp work? Or work sort of related to your field?

I'm just throwing things out there. I'm sure you have thought of all of it before. I just wish I could help. In the meantime, enjoy your retirement! I'm glad you have found some new hobbies and have time for old ones.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:45 pm

I got laid off from the second hotel @ Christmas due to the economy taking a downturn in 2009 in Asheville. I can't recall us ever being affected by a bad economy before, since we're pretty much immune to the outside world, and it happened eventually. They hired me back in may.

Between Jan-May I begged my old job back at the dollar store. Minimum wage (it's gone up to 7.00 an hour!! $2/hour more than 2 years ago when I was last there). Since I was only working about 60-ish hours a week I felt like I was retired and called it my temporary retirement. I thought 'nows the time I'll do all that stuff I wanna do', and you know what I did? Lay around and watch TV (I got a TV, first time since I was a kid) and watched it all night long. So, not very productive. I don't have much energy (checking the mail is a big deal, forget hiking) but when I got back to my usual 80-hour workweek & school I've felt a lot more productive. I said all tha to say I'm glad you're out enjoying it and doing stuff, that's a lot more than I did.

Ya know, even though I was far from thrilled at first to go back to minimum-wage cashiering around people who can't spell their own names, I still had fun with it. It's neat how you can bond with various people.. a lot of our customers were little old church ladies, one of which always said "I'm so glad you're here, you're my favorite!" You know, I don't even get that from my pets. Note to self: Tell people you're glad they're here more often.

I'm getting the nudging from Universe it's time to move on from hotel #2 anyway, but I can't find anyone who's willing to be so flexible with my schedule at night. And I have no idea what else I'd want to do.

I think the cilnic sounds like a great idea. Our school has a writing lab, I guess most do, that you could check out as well.

My affirmation for today: God shows me where I should be, so I can do the things I'm supposed to do.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:13 pm

My affirmation for today: God shows me where I should be, so I can do the things I'm supposed to do.

I like it. Smile

Today I took my kids to the park for a picnic. We walked down to the river ... it was lovely. Time to scour the wanted posts, bug the temp agencies then go for a bike ride.

Maybe, instead if feeling blue, I should be relishing the free time.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:29 pm

The non-newthoughters chide me for preaching the Law of Attraction, but I gotta say, as applied, it works. My LOA advice (take it or leave it) is to consistently visualize God in/around/through you, and be optimistic that you are being guided to the appropriate place for you to be at the perfect time, and that all your needs are met. Look forward to it regularly with optimism, and don't visualize yourself in any one spot (as that's applying limitations, which is not good) and I'm confident you'll end up right where you're being best guided to next.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:19 pm

((((TED))))) Thank you for this.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Weeeelllllll, I scored an interview and..... I don't think it went so well. 2 ladies asking me 6 pages worth of interpersonal questions and I fear I gave them 20 pages worth of answer. On the bright side, it was practice at the least. My third interview (out of 100 resume submissions.)

On a side note, I just learned from my local newspaper that my county has over 75,000 people who are out of work. Talk about depressing!!!

Keeping it on the positive. Sending out more resumes today.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top