Sylvia Browne should be ashamed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sylvia Browne should be ashamed

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue May 25, 2010 6:44 pm

I swear I don't think that woman has ANY shame.

I dvr The Good Wife but don't watch the local CBS station otherwise. Noticed at the end of my last recorded episode that the news following it featured another report in the station's ongoing investigation of whether or not Browne is a fraud. So I checked what the report involved on the station's website.

It was heartbreaking. The woman featured had an adult son who was dying of cancer and had expressed the wish that he be able to die at home if at all possible.

His wife wanted to bring him home with hospice care when his doctors said he had only a few days left.

However, his mother went to Sylvia Browne's show when Browne was in St. Louis and was selected to ask a question. She asked what Browne predicted for her son. Would he live?

Browne answered unequivocally yes. The mother began to respond that his doctors said he might live for only a couple more days when Browne interrupted her to say, "I don't give a damn (what they say)" and continued that they'd soon find a "miraculous treatment" which would result in her son's starting to get better immediately. By month's end, he'd be well on his way to recovery.

Needless to say, the doctors were correct. The man died two days after the show, leaving his mother feeling guilty for denying him one of his last wishes (even though he was comatose and probably wouldn't have been aware that he was at home.)

It's obvious the woman has no shame whatsoever. I wish there were some way to prevent this kind of heartless treatment of people in such desperate circumstances.

I suppose the only thing that can be done is to continue publicizing such occurrences until people generally are aware that she's a fraud who doesn't care a hoot how much anguish she causes desperate people as long as she can continue padding her fortune by exploiting them shamelessly.

Okay, rant's over...
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Re: Sylvia Browne should be ashamed

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Tue May 25, 2010 7:21 pm

caveat emptor
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Tue May 25, 2010 7:47 pm

Very true. Whether it is a religious person, a New Ager, or a fortune cookie, take it with a grain of salt.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Tue May 25, 2010 9:50 pm

Well, yes...I've long thought it obvious that any such predictions are guesswork even when well-intended, and the person who chooses to believe such things implicitly needs to get a major reality check.

I just think it's immensely sad that unscrupulous types such as Browne have no compunction about making money from people grasping at the slightest hope. I hope that very bad karma or one of the lowest rungs of hell awaits her for preying upon people as traumatized as this woman was.

In contrast, I once heard a psychic doing a public reading be asked if the chemo the woman she was reading for was to begin soon would be successful. The psychic replied that she didn't believe it ethical to make predictions of that sort but would pray that the woman would achieve the result she desired. She went on to offer the usual bromides about great challenges giving us the gift of significant spiritual growth, etc. Nothing, however, was said to give the woman false hope.

So, I think what infuriates me most is the predatory aspect of what Browne does. As long as what she says keeps people buying tickets to her shows and copies of her latest book, she doesn't seem bothered by the additional distress her bullshit "predictions" cause.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Wed May 26, 2010 11:42 am

DotNotInOz wrote:Well, yes...I've long thought it obvious that any such predictions are guesswork even when well-intended, and the person who chooses to believe such things implicitly needs to get a major reality check.

I just think it's immensely sad that unscrupulous types such as Browne have no compunction about making money from people grasping at the slightest hope. I hope that very bad karma or one of the lowest rungs of hell awaits her for preying upon people as traumatized as this woman was.

In contrast, I once heard a psychic doing a public reading be asked if the chemo the woman she was reading for was to begin soon would be successful. The psychic replied that she didn't believe it ethical to make predictions of that sort but would pray that the woman would achieve the result she desired. She went on to offer the usual bromides about great challenges giving us the gift of significant spiritual growth, etc. Nothing, however, was said to give the woman false hope.

So, I think what infuriates me most is the predatory aspect of what Browne does. As long as what she says keeps people buying tickets to her shows and copies of her latest book, she doesn't seem bothered by the additional distress her bullshit "predictions" cause.

I agree. But we aren't going to change people like her by protesting their actions. No matter what we do, we aren't going to make them feel sorry for, or even that their actions were somehow wrong.

We have to change ourselves.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:58 pm

Sad sad so very sad. Its entertaining mind candy for some, & a grasp at last straws for others. Makes ya wonder what some people are thinking.
I'm sorry for being so callous, but for those people that "don't know" Death calls for everyone. I can really see both sides of the coin here. If the predator runs a muck, then the prey will always be swallowed up. Again its "mankind" putting others up on pedestals & given enough power to be presented as "gods".
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top