Rosary Beads in the News

Go down

Rosary Beads in the News

Post by Sakhaiva on Thu May 20, 2010 9:35 pm

Some schools --and some police -- are calling Rosary Beads "gang symbols" and banning them. Such stories seem to be popping up across America, the first one below really cut me:

http://www.khou.com/news/texas-news/khou-93810709.html

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,423143,00.html

http://nicedeb.wordpress.com/2008/03/03/rosaries-banned-in-schools/

http://www.usatoday.com/news/religion/2008-03-16-rosaries-gangs_N.htm

Sikh kids can bring their knives... but these kids can't wear a cross? Seems a bit odd - and what about Lutheran Rosaries? Or Tibetan prayer beads?

What are your thoughts about this, apparent, trend?

Peace to all!
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Re: Rosary Beads in the News

Post by DotNotInOz on Fri May 21, 2010 4:13 am

Personally, I think wearing something that looks like a rosary even if it's not actually one ought not be done. But then, as a RCC child, I was taught that a rosary is to be used for prayer and not worn as if it is jewelry. There were plenty of cross or holy medal necklaces meant to be jewelry if a person felt so inclined.

Just as many retail stores forbid employees to wear personal religious symbols, I don't see a need for such things to be worn by public school students in school.

I don't care what people say, it boils down to "holier than thou" as far as I'm concerned when people wear a symbol of their religion prominently displayed. Wear it under your clothing, no problem, but keep such things out of sight when not in church or a private school of your faith.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Fri May 21, 2010 6:45 am

Rosaries are NOT to be worn. They are not jewelry.

Dot... My rosary is a beautiful Mother of Pearl, made in the Holy Land. If I wore it, which I wouldn't becasue it seems patently disrespectful, I would not hide it under a shirt any more than you would hide a diamond or pearl necklace.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Fri May 21, 2010 7:18 am

It is really too bad that gangs have seized on a religious symbol as their own, no doubt because they thought that those in the know would know what it means, and those that weren't would have their suspicions lulled, thinking the boy was better than he was. It is quite ingenious.

I'm not big into the wearing of religious symbols for others to see. In a way, I think that advertising your religion, whether it is by clothing or jewelry, is just another way to separate the world into them and us.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sacrificialgoddess on Fri May 21, 2010 8:52 am

*Snerk*

For years, Christians has been allowed to wear crosses at schools, but pagans have not been allowed to wear pents, because they are "Gang" symbols.

Welcome to our world.

Edward Albee
sacrificialgoddess
Admin
Admin

http://kltompkins.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri May 21, 2010 11:51 am

Hey most of Asatru's symbols have been co-opted by white supremacists.

I feel your pain, but it is unlikely to change anything.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Fri May 21, 2010 6:38 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken wrote:Hey most of Asatru's symbols have been co-opted by white supremacists.

I feel your pain, but it is unlikely to change anything.

all

Oh I forgot about that! (I think Hindus could relate with you on that one ALL Smile )
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Sat May 22, 2010 8:59 am

Yeah, somehow I can't think of any religious symbol that was brutalized and bastardized more than the Hindu god.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down