The Census or: how I learned to be nice to Mormons

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Census or: how I learned to be nice to Mormons

Post by Genocon on Mon May 10, 2010 3:25 pm

Being short on money lately, I went ahead and accepted a job as a census worker that I applied for last year. This particular leg of the operation deals with following up on people who didn't send in their forms.

I'm wondering what the hell I was thinking; anyone who knows me knows I have social anxiety issues. The idea of knocking on strangers' doors and asking them all kinds of personal information while keeping in mind potential paranoia, hostility and the current political climate (including news personalities saying they'd answer the door with a shotgun) means that I've had a couple of emotional meltdowns the last week since I started working.

Thus far no one has been hostile or refused to do it, but again, I've only been working a week. The worst I had was a grown woman telling me she didn't know what the census was.

But the month is young, and while they hope to have it all wrapped up by the end of it, whether or not that will happen remains to be seen.

Not that I ever would have been mean, but I'm extra committed to being nice to Mormons and other door-knockers and not mess with them like my original plan was.
Genocon

Back to top Go down

Re: The Census or: how I learned to be nice to Mormons

Post by tmarie64 on Wed May 12, 2010 6:30 pm

I would be nice to census takers, because they are only trying to get information that will, ultimately, help people.
Mormons, Jehovan's Jackasses... I have NO use for them... they are not out to help anyone. So, I am not mean, I just greet them at the door in a robe with a beer in one hand and a whiskey bottle in the other and invite them in to discuss Catholic doctrine versus theirs.
They usually run. ~~giggle~~

People who are trying to earn a living, I am always polite to.

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Wed May 12, 2010 7:29 pm

That's one thing I'm really enjoying about living in a "NO Soliciting" apartment complex. No Mormons or JW's to ignore when they bash on the door like 4-year-olds playing pranks, and yes, we used to get some that would ring the bell half a dozen times and then practically put a fist through the door knocking.

If your knock isn't answered when there are signs of the residents being at home, it means they don't want any of what you're peddling, folks.

As my grandmother used to say, "A knock on the door is a request to be invited to come in. If the door is not opened to you, you're not invited, simple as that."
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Wed May 12, 2010 7:45 pm

DoNotInOz (heart melts) the words of the wise ones!

Genocon? You go! Personally I've been counted twice. Once back home in LA, & now here in GA @ Ft. Gordon. If I stay here any longer I'll set up state residency!

TMarie, your moving! Just think of all the new possibilities out there at your new home!!! Maybe I can take a 4 day pass & come visit you? Just make sure you have that beer in one hand & whiskey in the other when you answer the door!

Last edited by Willowcreek70633 on Wed May 12, 2010 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Forgot to add last idea!)
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by Sakhaiva on Thu May 13, 2010 2:24 pm

(((((Genocon))))) Oh I am right there with you in spirit re: social anxiety v.s. life's financial needs. I do not do well with cold calling, let alone face to face door knocking stuff.... however.... just take it one door at a time. And, to me, it sounds like so far, so good! We are rooting for your success!

A census worker came to my home the other day -- you know, I dreaded this because I was nervous about someone I didn't know coming to my door. When I saw that she, too, seemed a bit nervous, it made me feel more relaxed and we shared a nice 3-4 minutes. So hang in there; the people behind those doors are just like you Smile

(Since you are a government employee, I think people can get into trouble being mean to you.... something else in your favor) Smile

RE: Mormons and JW's..... I am nice if they are nice, which they mostly have been in my experience. That being said, the other day I had to slowly close my door in an over-zealous man's face because he refused to give up. I can still picture his lips moving as the door s-l-o-w-l-y closed.
Sakhaiva

Back to top Go down

Post by Genocon on Thu May 13, 2010 3:00 pm

Yeah, I've been really putting it off, only working at the end of the week when it nears the time for me to report to my crew leader and I have to do SOMETHING. Somehow then I manage to light a fire under myself, but I just wish I could do that earlier in the week so I'm not having to work for five or six hours a day on the weekends in order to catch up.

And it doesn't help that I'm almost out of my anxiety meds and out of refills.

Honestly, I'm surprised I haven't been let go. I know other people in my crew have gotten a lot more done than I have, and I heard that one of the higher-ups for our district was making noise about firing people she doesn't think have gotten enough done.
Genocon

Back to top Go down

Post by tmarie64 on Thu May 13, 2010 4:34 pm

Willow...By all means! Feel free to visit! I usually always have some sort of "libation" in the house. LOL

tmarie64
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri May 14, 2010 12:31 pm

allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Fri May 14, 2010 12:56 pm

Really, I think you'll be ok. For the most part those who are talking about open confrontation of census takers are trying to look big for their friends.

I personally just wouldn't answer the door.

I have a fake doorbell for that reason.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by Beautiful_Dreamer on Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:46 pm

I don't mind JWs or census takers or whoever if they're nice. I can't imagine that their job is easy or that they're doing it for their health! I've also met some nice people that way.

I feel sorry for them and for door-to-door salespeople. I've done sales...ugh, never again. I would rather eat an entire box of corn starch and wash it down with a case of the nastiest beer you can think of than do sales again. Retail is one thing but insurance or phone service sales again? No. It actually *cost* me money to work those jobs.
Beautiful_Dreamer

http://theprozacqueen.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top