New Gods?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Gods?

Post by weirdfaery on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:27 pm

Without being too personal and nosy, does anyone here believe that the Gods they are worshiping are new?

Just something that's been rattling around in my head for awhile. I truly believe that my Gods are very young and that I am one of their first followers ( not the only one just one of the few). Which of course led me to think that new gods would have to have new souls to worship because trying to steal another god's followers would be a very bad thing. So the logical conclusion of this is that my soul must be very young.

Maybe I should explain my belief about souls. I believe that the gods created the souls that belong to them and every life we live is about learning the lessons we need to finally become one with our Creators.(Yes, I know it would simply be easier for the gods to just make us perfect to begin with, but faith means not having all the answers, right? )

Does this make sense to anyone or am I being even more rambly and sleep deprived than normal?
weirdfaery

Back to top Go down

Re: New Gods?

Post by gillyflower on Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:36 pm

If you believe it and it doesn't harm anyone, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdfaery on Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:06 pm

I'm still trying to figure out exactly what I believe, but my mind keeps going back to this place and it feels right, that this is my UPG and the
Gods are slowly revealing how they wish to be worshiped by me.
weirdfaery

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:07 pm

weirdfaery wrote:Without being too personal and nosy, does anyone here believe that the Gods they are worshiping are new?

Personally, no. But I don't know why a person couldn't follow "new" gods as you describe them. I think that the gods are what we can perceive of an ecosystem of sorts. It would make sense that they reproduced and made "new" gods.

weirdfaery wrote:
Just something that's been rattling around in my head for awhile. I truly believe that my Gods are very young and that I am one of their first followers ( not the only one just one of the few). Which of course led me to think that new gods would have to have new souls to worship because trying to steal another god's followers would be a very bad thing. So the logical conclusion of this is that my soul must be very young.

I think that getting new souls to follow them is a young god thing.

weirdfaery wrote:
Maybe I should explain my belief about souls. I believe that the gods created the souls that belong to them and every life we live is about learning the lessons we need to finally become one with our Creators.(Yes, I know it would simply be easier for the gods to just make us perfect to begin with, but faith means not having all the answers, right? )

I don't think that the gods are perfect either. Just better.

weirdfaery wrote:
Does this make sense to anyone or am I being even more rambly and sleep deprived than normal?

Made sense to me.

all
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdfaery on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:34 pm

Thanks for your input. Sometimes I worry that the things going through my head are just too weird and out there, hence the screen name.
weirdfaery

Back to top Go down

Post by Gorm_Sionnach on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:50 am

I have a... related experience perhaps?

Recently via upg I have felt the great urge to provide oblation to a specific river. Now the river is one of the five major of the city I reside in, and is considerably old. Now my religion has aspects which are animistic in nature, and so the placement of votive offerings in rivers is well attested to in tradition. Whether the deity is in fact a goddess (again upg and tradition) is of course open to interpretation the lines between "the three" in my tradition is rather fluid. However I am unsure if there were other activities related to river worship by other groups throughout history, particularly this one. There is all matter of evidence of human habitation around the river going back several millenia, though I am unsure if others have felt the same kind of draw, there is a distinct possibility that I am one of the first, or only recent devotee (for lack of a better word). It is all quite interesting, though I am unsure if this confuses your point or informs it?

Coffee Three Shouts on a Hilltop
Gorm_Sionnach

http://threeshoutsonahilltop.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by weirdfaery on Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:59 pm

That is really interesting, Gorm. Perhaps the river spirit had been asleep for a while, but sensed that you would be a receptive and respectful "devotee"?
weirdfaery

Back to top Go down

Post by John T Mainer on Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:01 am

The wights of the land speak to us, and we are wise to listen. If a wight of the land or water desires offerings of you, then that relationship can only strengthen you. As our species tends to foul far too many of our rivers, when one chooses to show a welcoming face to you, the chance to balance those particular scales is importance.

The health of the folk is tied to the land and waters; the spirits of the land and waters are tied to our own. When those spirits are in poor health or angered, our own suffer. When those spirits are strong and in harmony with us, we are stronger and more harmonious within our own communities.

John T Mainer

http://community.bc-freehold.org/news.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top