Joke's on me

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Joke's on me

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:33 am

In January or February, I began getting these spams with subject line saying, "< Month name> meeting and 2010 schedule." Since the last names were all peculiar ones, none of which was the least bit familiar, I figured this was some spammer's idea of a way to hook people who indeed might have a meeting of some kind in that month that had something to do with the year's schedule.

Yesterday, I got one on my iPhone, which shows the first line or two of the body...a useful feature enabling one to discern whether or not it's a legitimate communication. There was enough detail that I figured out it was about something going on at the UU church I'd gone to for a few months last summer!

You'd think that the name of the church would have been put in the subject line, but no. I guess I was supposed to recognize the sender's name each time I got one?

Anyway, I had a good laugh at myself for having suspiciously deleted all these emails that might at one point have been of interest.

In the interim, I concluded that church concerns about increasing membership and starting a building campaign give me the willies and then some. I think Jesus (if he ever existed which I highly doubt) had it right...no buildings needed for the most part so that the movement doesn't become largely about expansion and upkeep.

Guess I'm just not that into churchgoing...
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Re: Joke's on me

Post by Willowcreek70633 on Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:59 am

DotNotInOz, your as bad as I am, sister! Its ok to be suspicious! If the church doesn't want to own up to its identity, hmmm? Why get started into something that doesn't want to own up to its own responsibilities? What you were really doing? Mentally or spiritually speaking? Its called good old fashion "wisdom"!
Willowcreek70633

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:08 pm

Odds are that messages coming in from people whose names you don't recognize ARE spam. I delete them every time.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by allthegoodnamesweretaken on Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:39 pm

AutumnalTone wrote:Odds are that messages coming in from people whose names you don't recognize ARE spam. I delete them every time.

I have a junk mail filter set up, let them go their, and they delete themselves after a week.
allthegoodnamesweretaken

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:28 pm

AutumnalTone wrote:Odds are that messages coming in from people whose names you don't recognize ARE spam. I delete them every time.

Which is precisely why this pissed me off once I found out that it was an email list from the church. I invariably delete any email from a name I don't recognize. How am I supposed to know what this relates to if there's no means whatsoever of discerning its connection with the church short of reading one of them?

Names like "Susan Blechtner" and "Marilyn Grizzle"??? Hell, I don't think I've ever in my life heard of those names much less known anyone by either name.

Part of my problem was that I only went regularly in July and August, and very few people go to services during the summer at this church (not unusual among UU churches.) Of the dozen or so I became acquainted with then, none of the names I recalled were among the email names. It was a big crowd if 16 people came to a summer service as opposed to the 70 or 80 adults attending during the regular year.

I've no idea why I got on this email list. I never was asked if I wanted to be and never indicated an interest in any such thing.

That's not my idea of how to encourage people to affiliate longterm with a church. Guess I'm simply too picky about simple courtesy or something...
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:10 pm

Nah--nobody should be adding people to an email list without having permission to do so. Unsolicited email is unsolicited email and counts as spam--it doesn't matter that you attended the church once upon a time. If you didn't sign up for mailings, the church has no business adding you to an email list.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by Beribee on Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:30 pm

Dot, how did they get your e-mail address in the first place?? I'm playing devil's advocate here , but if you gave them your e-mail address, why wouldn't they assume you wanted updates on what was going on?? Just a thought.....though I do agree that they should have put the church's name in the subject line! LOL

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -- Thomas Jefferson
Beribee

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:06 am

Oh, I'd given them my email for the weekly newsletter and events updates.

I'm guessing that my getting on this email list may have been a mistake. Otherwise, I've no idea why I was added to the list. I don't even know what its purpose was, not having read any but the one email which mentioned that the religious education director would allow them to use the preschool classroom. For what, I've no clue. The RE director's name I recognized which is how I knew these were from the church.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by gillyflower on Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:32 am

I hope y'all have several email aliases by the way and give out your main one to close friends and family and others for other purposes. That way if one of those aliases starts getting a lot of spam, you can simply delete the alias.

Beisdes, you need a back up email carrier just in case something goes wrong with one (like someone "steals" your account - it can happen - or something else goes wrong) then you need a back up account listed to help you recover your other account.

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. Marcus Aurelius
gillyflower
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DotNotInOz on Mon Apr 26, 2010 2:46 pm

I'm definitely following your advice after this, Gilly. I'd never before had any problems other than typical spam up until this church thing. This has been so annoying...and I'm now getting emails from a women's group despite my having requested two weeks ago not to receive any more emails from the church!...that I have ample illustration of why an auxiliary account that you can delete as necessary is useful.
DotNotInOz

Back to top Go down

Post by TigersEyeDowsing on Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:50 am

Because I have lots of web endeavors, I have about 7 active email accounts; 2 are personal. One I've used for 13 years, and because I've used it for that long it's mostly a junk account now (gets a lot of spam). It's @juno.com, and juno never bothered to create usable spam filters over the years while yahoo and gmail came out with some good ones.

"I am often told that Divine Science is a difficult religion to live, and that other forms of religious belief afford an easier way. Perhaps this is true; for in Divine Science we never hold anyone else responsible for the things that come to us; we hold ourselves responsible for meeting the experiences of the day with power and of living our own lives divinely." – Nona Brooks
TigersEyeDowsing
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AutumnalTone on Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:19 pm

Heh. I use Yahoo for my junk account because it has good filters. Anyplace I need to use an email addy for, I evaluate whether it's someplace to use my main addy or the Yahoo addy. If it's attached to a login for a website or any place I might order from online, I use the Yahoo account. That way, any additional offers a company wants to send gets filtered, plus spam from any business partners gets filtered, and random messages from bots that picked up the addy from a profile somewhere also get filtered. I only have to toss an occasional message into the spam box for my Yahoo account--and my main addy only gets a spam message when somebody else's account gets hacked/infected.
AutumnalTone

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top